Beets are a nutritious powerhouse rich in vitamins, minerals and essential nutrients like vitamin C, iron, phosphorus, copper, magnesium, potassium, B vitamins and dietary fibers. With so many health benefits, from lowering high blood pressure to detoxing your body, beets are definitely worth including it in your diet.
In this recipe, beets earthy and sweet flavors lend a hand to an already established dish well known by us all, the mighty hummus. It does not overpower the delicious taste of the middle eastern spread but adds a bit of sweetness to it, as it makes an already super healthy food become even healthier, and prettier!
This pink hummus is the perfect appetizer, no matter what you decide to pair it with, a warm pita or naan bread, veggies or just as a sandwich spread.
Give it a try and let us know what you think!
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1 15.5 oz can of chickpeas
- 1 medium beet, roasted
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 ½ Tbsp tahini paste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Fresh parsley, for garnishing
How To Make It:
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Wash, peel and dice beetroots. Drizzle them with olive oil and bake them until soft, about 20 minutes.
- Puree the chickpeas and garlic in the food processor.
- Add the roasted beets, lemon zest, tahini, salt, pepper, cumin and ground cayenne pepper.
- Add lemon juice and olive oil last.
- Blend all ingredients until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl from time to time, if needed.
- If the mix is too chunky, add a little water to thin it out and reach a creamy and smooth consistency.
- Adjust seasoning to your taste.
- Place it in a covered bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
- Lasts in the fridge for about a week.
Please SHARE with your friends on Facebook.