Laying in bed at night is something we all do so automatically that we don’t think much about it. As long as you have clean bed sheets, or at least it smells clean, we sleep on it like babies without giving it a second thought.
The truth is that mattresses harbor a lot of filthy things that you wouldn’t want to have close contact with your body, such as allergens and dust mites that live off our shed dead skin cells and thrives in humid environments. Since we sweat close to one cup of perspiration every night, it’s safe to say that mattresses can be a yucky thing if not properly maintained and cared for.
The good thing is, there’s a simple solution to freshen it up and eliminate moisture, dirt, dust and assure you won’t have nightmares thinking about what could possibly be living in your mattress, without the use of any harsh chemicals.
Considering we spend one-third of our lives sleeping in a bed, this is definitely worth the effort!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 16oz box of baking soda
- 20 drops of essential oil of your choice (lavender is great for helping you relax and fall asleep)
- Vacuum cleaner
How To Do It:
- Mix together the baking soda and a few drops of essential oil in a bowl. Set aside.
- Using the upholstery tool, vacuum the mattress in small sections, going back and forth.
- Put the baking soda mix in a strainer and sift it all over the mattress.
- Rub the mixture into the mattress, as an extra step to make sure every inch of the bed is covered by the baking soda mix.
- Let it rest for 2 hours.
- Vacuum the mattress to remove the baking soda.
A Few Extra Tips
- To make sure your mattress stays clean and all those nasty allergens and mites don’t get in contact with your skin, consider investing in a good mattress cover. It’s an extra layer of protection against allergens and stains and you can just throw it in the washing machine to keep it clean.
- Flipping the mattress every six months ensures that parts of it don’t become worn out, giving you a few more years of good sleep.
Throw in your freshly washed sheets and enjoy a well deserved night of sleep!
Please SHARE with your friends on Facebook.